UK Driving Licence Changes from 8 June 2015
Due to the abolition of the UK Driving Licence Counterpart from 8th June 2015, we will have to access some of your licence details in a different way in order for us to check for endorsements.
We are committed to make this slightly awkward part of renting a car as easy and as quick as possible.
There are 3 methods in which you can do this:
Method 1 - The DVLA Share Driving Licence Service – Recommended - Please note: This service is unavailable from 3pm on Friday 17 August 2018 until 6am on Monday 20 August 2018
- Log on to the DVLA website: www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence (within 21 days of collecting your car)
- Enter your details (licence number, national insurance number, and postcode).
- Click “Share your licence Information” and follow the instructions to obtain your Licence Check Code.
- Print a copy of your licence information OR write down your Licence Check Code (this is case sensitive) and bring it with you when collecting your car.
- Present the printout or your Licence Check Code to our rental representative. This will enable us to access your rental record.
- The above process applies to ALL drivers of the vehicle
Method 2 - Bring your Driving Licence and National Insurance Number when collecting your car
Alternatively, bring your Driving Licence and National Insurance Number when collecting your car and we give you access to ‘Share Driving Licence’ in order to obtain your Licence Check Code.
Any driver unable to obtain a Licence Check Code should call the DVLA Customer Contact Centre on 0300 083 0013 (Mon–Fri, 9am-5pm).
Method 3 - DVLA Premium Line Telephone Service*
This service is undertaken with you present at the start of your rental, we will call the DVLA on your behalf and you have to answer a couple of security questions to enable us to access your driver record over the phone.
* Please be aware that this service is only available Monday to Friday 08:00-19:00 and Saturday 08:00-14:00 and is likely to be more time consuming than either of the above options. Rentals commencing outside of these times must undertake the Share My Driving Licence procedure.
We must be able to access the Licence records of everyone wishing to drive our vehicles, this includes any additional drivers. Failure to supply this information may result in you being unable to hire a car.
Don’t forget that you still need to produce your driving licence (paper or plastic) at the time of hire.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us on: +44 (0) 207 591 0555